Monday, January 6, 2014

Walnut-Bourbon Pound Cake




This cake contains an eyebrow raising 1/2 of a fifth of whiskey.  I used Makers Mark.  My recipe is heavily based on one in the 'Bundt Classics' cookbook which I recommend even though a bunch of the recipes call for boxed cake mix which is where I draw the line when it comes to baking.  Here's the link.  I seem to only get reliable bundt cakes when I use nonstick spray with flour in it and I'm pretty much to the point that I'm going to make something else if I don't have that.  My bundt cakes always take a lot longer than the recipes indicate--  I think it's my oven--  so keep an eye on yours and make sure you don't take it out to early because then it'll be raw in the middle and it will never unmold.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves

2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt

8 eggs
1 cup bourbon + 1/2 cup for drizzling

1 tsp vanilla

1 8oz bag chopped walnuts

Oven to 325


Whisk flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves together in a bowl and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar carefully
Add eggs (1 at a time) and salt
Slowly add 1 cup bourbon and vanilla
Add walnuts
Put into greased and floured bundt pan
Bake 65-75 minutes or much longer.
Let cool for ten minutes and unmold
Slowly brush or spoon reserved 1/2 cup of bourbon onto cake.
Wrap carefully and set in a cool dark place for at least a couple of days but better yet a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment