Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Chocolate Marashino Cake




I've been making this cake based on one from this cookbook with a bunch of variations for years.  I've flavored it with a variety of liquors with fantastic results.  These are flavored with Maraschino liquor which is a cherry liquor that has a very interesting flavor.  I've had very mixed results with bundt cakes unless I use Pam with flour added.  I haven't had as good of results with regular Pam.  It's to the point that I don't make bundt cakes unless I have Pam with flour or its generic equivalent.

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tbsp baking soda
1 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup marashino liquor
2 tsp vanilla

Oven to 325

Whisk the flour, cocoa and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside

Cream the butter,  sugar and salt very carefully
Add eggs (one at a time), buttermilk, liquor and vanilla
Mix in the dry ingredients
Bake 60-70 minutes or much longer until toothpick comes out clean.
Let sit for ten minutes and then invert on to a serving plate
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment