Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies



This recipe is based on one from the Joy of Cooking.  I increased the amount of chocolate chips by 50% because one cup of chocolate chips seemed a little austere and we like to assume that we've won the war here on Joseph's cooking blog.  My cookies took a lot longer to cook than the recipe indicated--  about 20 minutes-- and I'm not sure if that was because of my terrible oven or that I made them a lot larger than the recipe said I should.  Feel free to make these pretty big.  They don't spread as much as regular chocolate chip cookies do because of the oatmeal.


Heat oven 350

Whisk in a bowl:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder

Cream together:

2 sticks butter (1 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Add:

2 eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla

Slowly add:

3 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
3/4 - 1 cup walnuts

Place in golf ball sized amounts on a lined cookie sheet and bake 12-14 minutes or much more.  They're done when they start to firm up in the center.  Remove to drying rack when cool.  Makes 4 dozen.

bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment